Sunday 24 October 2010

Gold as an insurance against inflation

Why buy gold? For me, gold is just another form of insurance against inflation. Real assets such as crude oil, Asian real estate and commodities are also used to hedge against inflation.

Gold will hit US$2.5k eventually and, probably, go higher in the years to come. The current inflation adjusted value of gold compared to the high achieved in 1980 should be about US$2.4k now. We are about halfway there. If we believe that inflation is going to be a big issue in the coming years, it's a no brainer that gold is on a long term uptrend.

However, I'm not overzealous about gold because I am not living in the USA or HK, making US$ or HK$. I am living in Singapore and making S$ which will appreciate against US$ and HK$ in time. This makes gold investment less compelling for me.

No comments: